Joshua’s Birth Story

I went into hospital on Friday 9th July for reduced movements. After being on the CTG trace for over 45 minutes with few movements the doctor came to talk to us. She explained that as I was overdue already, and that it was the first time I’d experienced reduced movements, it would be safer for baby if they induced. They gave me the option to refuse, have a sweep and see how it goes as my induction was provisionally booked for the 17th July, even though I had every intention of declining any induction.
I didn’t really know what to do because I didn’t want to be induced and lose every chance of my home birth, but I also didn’t want to decline the induction because of the what if’s that were running through my mind. So eventually we decided to go ahead with the induction of labour. They booked me in for the Sunday but told me to ring on Saturday morning in case they did have a bed free.
So I rang Saturday morning and they told me to ring back in the afternoon, so I did and by 3pm they told me there was a bed and to come in! So we got everything ready, packed Keira’s bags and took her to my dad’s. It would be the first time that I’d be away from her a lengthy period of time so I was absolutely terrified of leaving her, even though I knew that she’d be in safe and happy hands.

We got to the hospital around 4pm and had to wait around for a bit before getting taken to our bed. I was put on a CTG trace before having the prostin pessary inserted to start the induction at 6pm. I then had 6 hours for the pessary to work before being examined again and needing another. The 6 hours passed, very quickly, and I hadn’t even had a twinge! I was put on the CTG trace at midnight and at 2am the midwife eventually got around to seeing us, I was examined and my cervix had gone from 1 to 2cm dilated (stretchy to 3cm) and was very soft. She gave me a stretch and sweep before disappearing to get another pessary. As soon as she’d finished the stretch and sweep my contractions had started. They were coming every 2 to 6 minutes and lasting for anything up to 40 seconds, I stuck my tens machine on and got on the birthing ball.

My contractions started coming more regular, every 3-4 minutes for 30 seconds, after about 2 hours. However, by 6am they started fizzling out. Darren went to speak to the midwife and she suggested having a nap because we hadn’t slept all night and that we were on the waiting list to have my waters broken. So I lay on the bed and got myself as comfortable as I could between the contractions and I could feel myself drifting off. I was dozing in between the contractions before someone opened our curtain.
A student midwife was there telling us that she was going to take us down to delivery suite to get my waters broken. It was only about 7:30am so we didn’t have to wait long. In delivery suite I was examined, 4cm dilated, and in between the little contractions I was having, they broke my waters. As soon as my waters broke the contractions immediately picked up and they were intense. They started coming in thick and fast and they were so painful, I wasn’t sure of how often they were coming but I knew they were close. 
Before I knew it I was in so much pain with the contractions, I was begging for a bit of pethidine to help me by, the exhaustion wasn’t helping either. The midwife examined me and I was at 8cm! They said it had taken me 30 minutes to get from 4 to 8cm and as I was progressing so quickly I couldn’t have the pethidine as baby would be born with it in their system so they gave me the gas and air before telling me that my cervix was swollen.
I started feeling the urge to push not long after I had the gas and air. The midwives kept telling me not to push because of my cervix being swollen and baby’s head pushing on it was only going to make it worse. It felt like ages that I’d been getting through it, trying not to push. The contractions were so bad and my cervix wasn’t getting any better so I eventually asked for an epidural. The midwives agreed to it because it would take away my urge to push and would help with my cervix. It felt like such a long wait for the anesthetist to come, when he did it took him 3 attempts to put the epidural tube in my back. On the third attempt I could feel Joshua’s head in my bum, I knew he was coming. I shouted that baby was coming but no one listened and they just kept telling me to stay still. I shouted it a second time, just as the epidural tube had been taped to my back, and they flipped me onto my back and threw my legs up to have a look. All I heard was “she’s right, I can see baby’s head”. 
They told me to start pushing, so I took a deep breath and pushed with all my might, I could feel his head coming out. It took two pushes for his head to pop out at 10:58am and then at 11am his body followed on the third push. 
As soon as he was out, he was put straight onto my chest for skin-to-skin and I reminded the midwife that I wanted to delay the cord clamping. She showed me the cord which was almost empty, they had to keep in a small amount of blood as they needed to check for rhesus factor but they delayed the clamping and Darren got his chance to cut the cord. 
Joshua was born with his hand against his face which caused him to graze the inside of my vagina so I needed a few stitches for that but otherwise there were no other tears! I was in active labour for 2 hours before he was born, so it was a very, very fast labour and I didn’t even get the chance to have the epidural liquid put it so I literally done it using just gas and air.
I am still so proud of myself for doing it with just gas and air as I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to do it at the time but I did! I know that Darren was absolutely proud of me too because it was the first thing he was telling everyone when they asked how the labour and delivery went. 
Joshua had his first breast feed an hour after he was born and he fed for ages while I ate a Sunday roast, I got up after he’d finished feeding and took a shower. I was discharged from the hospital at 8:30pm (on the same day) so I had a quick labour, a quick delivery and a quick discharge! 

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge